Friday, November 22, 2013

Rome/Assisi Day 9

          Saturday morning I took a shower in our strange shower. I thought the bathrooms in Rome were strange, but the bathrooms in Assisi are even stranger. We do have normal toilet paper and a normal sink, but the shower is a tub that is half the size of a normal tub and there are no doors or curtains for taking a shower. Also, there is no place for the shower head so you just hold it the entire time. It is strange. I got water all over the floor, but hey, at least I was clean!
          After breakfast I French braided Rose’s hair and then we walked to Mass at the Basilica of St. Francis. We walked through the upper basilica, down to the lower basilica and into the chapel where St. Francis is buried. We had Mass at his tomb and all two hundred of us were all crammed into this little chapel probably meant for seventy people. When Mass was over we broke up into groups for our walking tour. Sr. Miriam lead our tour back through the lower and upper basilica, to the abbey of St. Peter, to the Assisi version of Santa Maria Maggiore, to San Francesco Piccolino, to the Piazza Commune and finally to Chiesa Nuova. We saw the place where Francis was born, where his father imprisoned him, the room where his family kept their fabric, and the place where he gave all his possessions back to his father.
          Following the tour, we walked back to the hotel for lunch and then I spent some time in my room. I ended up taking a two hour nap because I was so tired and I could tell I was coming down with a cold.

          We had Mass for our Sunday obligation in the same church we had adoration in and it was so crowded. After the homily, we all received a Tao Cross which Father just blessed. When Mass was over we went back to our hotels for dinner and then I went straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment